Friday, August 1, 2008

The Four "ations"

Which one of these is not like the others?
-Starvation
-Sleep Deprivation
-Dehydration
-Smoking
-Elevation

Okay, so this little quiz isn't completely fair since I practically gave you the answer in my title. Anyway, let me explain my 40 hour trip from Pittsburgh to Cairo...

1. Elevation: I never would have described myself as one to get airsick. However, I it seems that whenever I fly I feel slightly nauseated. I don't know if it is due to the elevation or something else, but I always feel just a little strange and sick when I travel, especially for 40 hours.

2. Starvation: Since I don't tend to feel well during long flights and lengthy layovers, my stomach rejects the thought, smell, and taste of most food, primarily that prepared on an airplane. Not eating makes me even more sick.

3. Dehydration: Especially in countries where tap water is suspect, I find bottled water difficult to come by. Of course we buy some in the airport, but when you're paying for water you are less likely to gulp it like your dying. You can't fill up a water bottle with tap water ahead of time and the flight attendants are very busy and cannot devote themselves to bringing a never-ending supply of water. Therefore, good water is limited and I probably get a bit dehydrated. This just adds to the icky feelings.

4. Sleep Deprivation: I try...I really do. And I usually end up getting a little snooze here and there. However, overall there is very little REM and unfortunately, when you're feeling poorly, you really just want to lose consciousness for an extended period of time and forget that you're hungry, thirsty, and sick. Too bad that's so difficult when you can't even lie down!

Overall, I don't like 40 hour trips on airplanes combined with long layovers. Oh, also, my feet and ankles got really swollen. It was actually kind-of funny and I found it entirely amusing to stare at them. So much so that I took a picture to remember the feeling.

Okay, so now for the smoking. The Tel Aviv airport was very strict with security. We went through several checkpoints, searches, luggage x-rays, and were asked numerous questions. The airport as a whole was very professional and similar to most others I have been in. When we got to Jordan, however, we found a very different atmosphere. For instance, as is typical in an airport, there were signs and announcements clearly stating that smoking was not allowed. However, we personally witnessed at least four different people sit directly in front of the non-smoking sign and light up. We moved a couple of times because inhaling second-hand smoke did not seem appealing. Interestingly enough, airport staff and security were right there. Furthermore, the trash can lids throughout the area had dozens of cigarette butts on them, having been used as ashtrays and no one seemed to mind. Our conclusion: no one really cares about that particular rule. We were just grateful that the actual flight was legitimately smoke free.

We did, however, meet a man from Texas in the Starbucks there. He was on his way to Baghdad to supervise work and had lots of interesting tales to tell, not to mention some good advice. That was the high point of the Jordan airport. We chatted with him for a couple of hours in the early morning before our flight. I will say this for Jordan, though. The airport may have been annoying, but the flight was very nice. The flight attendants were wonderful and I had a nice conversation with a woman who was finishing up a tour of Egypt and Jordan, and had some great advice!

More very soon...I have lots to say about Egypt!

4 comments:

CassieU said...

the photo of your ankles and feet made me smile. I'm glad you are "running into/God ordained" meeting people who can give you advice. Its always beneficial to ask a person who has already experienced something. Right/write on! hehe
...who's been approaching people about conversations? you or rebecca?... or a little of both?

Anonymous said...

Daniel and I were discussing your Egypt adventures and one of us was concerned about whether you "would" be in danger from the mummy & friends. The other was more interested in if you "could" be in danger from the mummy & friends. Did you do any explorations of tombs at night?
Dad

pifaith said...

Meeting people and exchanging ideas is one of the more interesting things about a trip like this. I'd love to hear more about their tips (if time ever allows). Hopefully, your tour will be well stocked with bottled water. Hope your body is normalizing. Stay healthy. Remember the vitamin C!
Love. Mom

Sara said...

I imagine Rebecca would enjoy a mummy encounter. ;-)