Thursday, July 2, 2009

Final Europe Pics

This is Sighisoara, the hometown of the man who inspired the Dracula legends...yes, ladies and gentlemen, THE Dracula! And I'm sure you can imagine what kind of man would inspire legends of a blood sucking killer. Let's just say he probably wasn't a fan of kids and puppy dogs... Anyway, the town was beautiful, even at night. Although at night the town kind-of shuts down...a little creepy, actually. I loved Sighisoara and would love to return someday!






























This next little section is the lovely city of Budapest, Hungary. I love Budapest...definitely my favorite big city! It's hard to explain why, and I don't think these few pictures do it justice, but I fell in love with the city as a whole.

A Holocaust Memorial at the Jewish Synagogue in Budapest. It's in the shape of an upside down menorah, and the leaves have the names of people killed.
















This is the awesome parliament building. I thought it was pretty!















This is one of the castles in Budapest. As it was winter, they had ice skating just outside of the castle...tons of fun!


































Ok, this was a labyrinth in Budapest, and when we first started there was no one else, making the entire experience a bit eerie. I don't know that I can even explain what it was like, except that it was hilarious. It was dark and they had creepy music playing, which made me pretty jumpy and Rebecca completely enthralled. The highlight for us (because we have really weird humor) was the "discoveries" they've made. Read the sign and then look at the evidence below to see what I mean.































I know, I know...ridiculous, but we had fun!!!


Prague was beautiful, but I found it to be a bit overrated...my opinion of course. It was also extremely busy and the Christmas Market wasn't nearly as fun as the one in Budapest..again, my opinion. Still, it was a lovely city. The odd looking building is known as the "Dancing House," so of course we had to check it out.































































Krakow was nice...more Christmas Markets! The main thing we did in Krakow was to go and see Auschwitz, which was a sobering experience to say the least. They request that you not take pictures in the exhibits so I respected that and made do with a photo of the outside. It's extremely disturbing the devastation evil people can do.



























After Krakow, we headed up to Warsaw, where we actually only spent a few hours. I would love to go back, though, because the city was really lovely.
















A quick side trip before heading to Austria was to go to Lodz to honor Rebecca's Lod-ness. For those of you who don't understand that comment, don't bother. Trust me...don't bother. We had dinner in a restaurant called "Fiddler on the Roof" where there was a fiddler playing in a little nook up near the ceiling...fun!
















Vienna- lovely city, although by the time we got here, we were getting tired of sightseeing, and instead we were counting down the days until we would meet up with the rest of our family in Munich. However, we still enjoyed Vienna, especially the cemetery where Rebecca visited the grave/memorial sites of several well-known musicians and composers.














































The day before we were to meet our parents and brother in Munich, we took a day trip out to Ingolstadt to visit the church that had been closed the day Wolfgang showed us around. The ceiling of this church is really unique in that one's perception only makes sense while standing in a particular location near the back of the church. In any other location the painting is distorted.

1 comment:

CassieU said...

I like the 4th pic from the bottom..you look marvelous!...i had to come to your blog cause i miss seeing your face.